Oregon Creek Covered Bridge
GPS: 39.396833°, -121.082399°
The Oregon Creek Bridge was built in 1860 by Thomas Freeman on Alleghany Road and was known at the time as Freemans Crossing bridge. It is located just off Highway 49 where it crosses the middle fork of the Yuba river near the entrance to Oregon Creek campground. It is over seventy seven feet long. It was an important crossing on the Middle Yuba road providing mining towns most needed supplies from central valley towns. In 1883 a dam on the middle Yuba river call English dam broke and washed mountains of logs and debris blocking Oregon Creek. The waters flowed upstream washing the bridge off its foundation and upstream over 100 feet. As the waters subsided it washed back downstream 150 feet. Using oxen teams and log rollers, the bridge was pulled back downstream and reattached to its foundation. It was swapped 180 degrees in the process so the east end is now west and the west end east.